The Washington State Legislature, under the control of Democrats for the past 40 years, has chosen, in their infinite wisdom, to allow a number of healthcare procedures that do NOT require parental notice nor permission. This article shares details from State websites. There are districts who have rolled out and/or are in the process of rolling out, dental and medical services on campus. You may want to be aware of this in case you have thoughts you want to share with your legislators and school district leadership.
Let’s start out with a snapshot of services and notice (or lack of) to parents:
The chart on the left:
Emergency services – No parental notice required
Immunizations – No parental notice required
STD treatment (if over 14) – No parental notice required
Birth Control – Notice notice no matter the age
Abortion – No notice at any age
Prenatal services – No parental notice required
Mental health care – If over 13 no parental notice
- 2023 School based health centers update: SBHC 2023 Implementation Update.pdf (waportal.org)
- Under 18 no parental approval matrix: I’m under 18. When can I get health care without an adult’s consent? | WashingtonLawHelp.org | Helpful information about the law in Washington.
- Healthier Washington Collaboration Portal: School-Based Health Center Program | WaPortal.org
- Seattle school based healthcare: School-based | Neighborcare Health
- Parents are considered responsible for legal and financial aspects of their children
- Parents conceive and raise their children and instill moral and ethical tenants…unless the schools and legislature say otherwise
Until parents become militant and send those elected officials making these decisions packing it will only get worse.
Update: Newest details from the State of Washington: minor-healthcare-no-parental-consent 2023