From the BIE Blog …..
This was written in 2012…but…if we hadn’t told you you would think it was written today. Moral to the story? The problem was recognized years ago and still exists today…when are we going to do something about it?
About a year ago I wrote a blog that detailed explicit connections between the 8 Essentials Elements of Project Based Learning and the Common Core. Not a lot of educators tuned in.
- “Research—both short, focused projects (such as those commonly required in the workplace) and longer term in depth research —is emphasized throughout the standards …”
- “The high school standards call on students to practice applying mathematical ways of thinking to real world issues and challenges …”
- “Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions …”
- “Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners …”
- “Use technology, including the Internet, to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others …”
- “Conduct short research projects to answer a question (including a self-generated question) …”