Update: Just before 4pm the VPS Superintendent, Jeff Snell, responded to the questions posed to him and the principal of Felida Elementary. You determine whether the answers he provides satisfy you:
3:46 PM (19 minutes ago)
1) Is this program sponsored by or supported by your school? This email has been sent by Peachjar.com to all parents/guardians of students in Vancouver Public Schools as a community service and does not imply sponsorship or endorsement of advertised programs or events.
2) Is this program supported and approved by the Vancouver school district and if so who approved it? The Board of Directors of Vancouver Public Schools has established policies consistent with most other school districts recognizing that 501(c)3 and civic organizations may want to distribute materials to parents/guardians in the school district that are non-curricular but that have social, recreational, or educational value for students and their families. Activities advertised by community organizations are not sponsored or endorsed by Vancouver Public Schools and must meet the Vancouver Public Schools’ “Distribution of Materials by Non-School Groups” policies in order to be approved for delivery (https://go.boarddocs.com/wa/
3) Who provided the email addresses of parents to “Peachjar” and on what basis is that list made available? Is the same or similar list shared with other groups and organizations and if so which and under what authority? As described above, Vancouver Public Schools utilizes internal email lists as a community service for 501(c)3 and civic organizations who may want to distribute materials to parents/guardians in the school district. Peachjar is the nation’s leading digital flyer system for more than 12,000 K-12 schools in North America. Peachjar emails are sent to parents. No youth are directly sent the flyers. Every parent with an account has the option to opt out at any time. There is an Unsubscribe link at the bottom of every flyer email.
4) Do you consider this material/content appropriate for the K-5 age group and why? Parent’s/guardians should decide whether activities are appropriate for their student. While the contributing 501(c)3 identified the appropriate audience as children grades K-5, these flyers are only distributed to parents and guardians to make that decision, not to children.
The content of the flyer in question does not violate our policies for distribution. VPS’s Peachjar service operates as a limited, or designated, public forum and therefore informational materials will not be denied so long as the materials comply with all provisions of the policies. As with district sponsored programs or activities, the district does not discriminate in any programs or activities sponsored by qualified community organizations on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, or disability.
5. How is it they can use your mailing list yet claim that the program is not sponsored by VPS and being done as a community service and distribution does not imply endorsement?
As stated, all flyers sent by our Peachjar service are distributed as a community service for 501(c)3 and civic organizations and does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by VPS.
Just got this email from a parent in the Vancouver school district. Apparently this program is happening today…Feb 10th. We have sent an email to the Felida school principle and to Jeff Snell the Superintendent of the Vancouver School District asking a series of questions. It’s unlikely we’ll get a response today so the only thing to be done is make you aware of it. Interesting that they are asking for a new “levy” for $272 million (an 84% increase over the last levy). They must be ok with the content and sharing parents email to outside organizations.
Please reach out to see if your school sent the same email. Direct your questions to your school principal and the Superintendent if you have concerns about the content and topic for K-5 children.
If you attend and want to file a report we will publish your comments.
Here are links from within the email document (since the screenshots below don’t allow for hot links)
- Peachjar Flyers
- Distributing flyers – Vancouver Public Schools (vansd.org)
- For questions on VPS distribution policies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions relating to the contents of this email, please contact the organization directly.
- Description – Downstage Center Junior PRIDE Club Celebrate LGBTQ+ K-5th grade Kids & Families All are welcome! Free event! Come join our community for an afternoon of creation and self-expression through paint! Teacher Heather will offer a segment on scenic design and how designers use paint to help tell the story of a play. Parents and allies are encouraged to attend. PAINTING AND SELF PORTRAITURE WITH GUEST ARTIST, ELIZABETH ARMSTRONG FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10TH. 4:30-6PM COTTAGE BUILDING 404 E EVERGREEN BLVD, 98660 www.downstagecenter.org 971-333-0651