- School board, in conjunction with the Superintendent, establishes the need for, amount of and duration of a levy. (These are fixed amounts of money spread over 3-4 years…in many cases)
- A resolution is written providing the details in preparation for filing with the Elections department
- The district submits their plan to the State Superintendent of Schools for review and approval
Here is the actual levy submission from the Van SD: Vancouver_Public_Schools_Pre-Ballot_Approval 20223
- The required approval of a levy spending plan is a sham. They appear to be rubber stamped (sometimes when eating a sandwich?)
- District don’t need to justify their spending request. There is no apparent challenge over amounts or uses by OSPI (State Superintendent of Schools Office). they work up a request, submit and get it in minutes
- “Enrichment” has become slush fund. Add more services. Add more personnel when the school population is declining. Just add more.