There is a new bill being introduced in the WA House today (January 9, 2023) by 2 Democrats: HB1059. Here’s a link to the details: https://legiscan.com/WA/bill/HB1059/2023 OR https://openstates.org/wa/bills/2023-2024/HB1059/
What does it propose?
- (Following are the proposed changes) An Act relating to protecting minors from sexual exploitation; and amending RCW 9.68A.040 and 9.68A.053. (d) Knowingly causes a minor to be photographed or part of a live 19 performance which depicts the minor engaged in sexually explicit 20 conduct where the minor is unconscious or unaware of the photograph or recording. and that 35 visual or printed matter does not include any depiction of another 36 minor engaged in an act of sexually explicit conduct as defined in RCW 9.68A.011(4). and that 6 visual or printed matter does not include any depiction of another 7 minor engaged in an act of sexually explicit conduct as defined in RCW 9.68A.011(4).
- On the surface, as written, it appears to hold those accountable filming/recording “drag queen hours” or other events, accountable
- Under the surface…what if a parent or interested party took pictures or a video to document what was going on so they could share with others? Would they be guilty of recording the event and prosecuted?
- This bill will make photographing a minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct a crime (felony). Its name is deceptive; it might be more appropriately called “Protect Drag Queen Story Hour.” The concerned public would not legally be able to photograph the lewd, pornographic and grotesque behavior happening at drag queen story hour events.
- this bill does not stop minors from being brought into sexual situations, such as the drag queen story hour dance routine
- it does make anyone recording or photographing the perverted acts as a felon
The first hearing is today, Jan 9, 2023, which is the 1st day of business of the new session and the day new reps are sworn in. Wonder if there is any sneaky intent to pursue when everyone is distracted?
Please contact the Bill sponsors and share your thoughts. Or, sign up to submit comments as it attempts to progress.
If you learn any more please share. It may be innocent. It may be not. You be the judge.