In a study (linked above) an attempt was made to equate jobs with political posture.
- Preschool teachers are twice as likely as high school teachers to be Republican, and economics professors are seven times as likely as English professors to be Republican.
- If you want to explore the details of more professions check this link: http://verdantlabs.com/politics_of_professions/index.html
Using their breakdown let’s take a look at Teachers: As you can see the color “blue” is liberal/progressive/left and “red” is conservative/right
Another article titled: Why Teaching Is the “Most Liberal Job in America” some bullet points:
- They are after “the pursuit of happiness” — not money
- School-to-prison pipeline
- Sustaining democracy
- The dismantling of public education
To close, being a teacher doesn’t mean being a liberal. They are not one in the same. I would venture to guess that many teachers would make the leap and support conservatives if it meant supporting public schools and their students. That just hasn’t happened in quite some time.
In the end, this article is solely a reasoned explanation that is probably not (and has no intentions to be) all-inclusive.
It is not an excuse. Neither is it an apology. Most of all, it is not a knock on or a slinging of sand in the face to conservative teachers – many of whom are close friends of mine, including the sagely Jeremy Adams.
We’re teachers here who, despite our differences, get along because we have America’s future at stake. And, politicians, take note: you have much to learn from this.
What are the implications of a liberal/progressive political agenda?
- Those who control the education process impart their view of the world. They shape the views of children regarding the environment, social issues, money, race relations and much more
- Overtly or subtly directing the views of children to support a liberal agenda ultimately shape the future of a nation
The Public School system in the United States has been heavily influenced by the liberal/progressive views of educators and in so doing has and is shaping the direction of the nation. If those of a more conservative nature what to influence the direction of the nation they must become educators and administrators and school board directors.